Global Health Rotations Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

AHME forum » Program Administrator Forum » Global Health Rotations « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gme_admin_cdc (Gme_admin_cdc)
Username: Gme_admin_cdc

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2019 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Global Health Rotations have recently become a hot button topic at my Institution. Because of this I'm doing some research to prepare for an upcoming meeting with PDs, the GME Office, Compliance and Legal. It would be extremely helpful if I could get some feedback from colleagues on how other Institutions handle these rotations. Currently I hear "everybody else does these" from the PDs.

1. Does your Institution allow Global Health Rotations?

2. If yes, do you allow them to be done as a rotation using paid time and covered by your malpractice, or does the trainee have to use their own time, aka vacation, and go without malpractice or find their own?

3. Does your Institution/training program have a regular occurring trip or established group?

4. If yes, do you allow outside rotators to join your group?

5. If you allow others to join, how is malpractice coverage provided?

Currently our Institution only allows rotations in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico as this is where our malpractice covers our physicians. We don't allow rotations to be done anywhere else, even if the trainee signs a waiver.

Responses are GREATLY appreciated. I'm sorry for so many questions!

Dwfarineau (Dwfarineau)
Username: Dwfarineau

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2019 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. yes
2. with GMEC approval it is a paid rotation for credit w/our malpractice coverage. without they would have to participate using vacation and no malpractice extension
3. sort of, we have some regular rotations overseen by some of our own faculty, but they are not "sponsored" by GME
4. it hasn't come up, but if they did want to join it wouldn't be credentialed or overseen by us....that would be between the rotator and their institution to sort out.

Happy to discuss offline (dwf4h@virginia.edu)

Utmb72 (Utmb72)
Username: Utmb72

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2019 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. Yes
2. Yes if approved by GMEC and International Oversight Committee, malpractice covered
3. Yes
4. Hasn't happened to date
Kim Pandanell
GME Program Manager
University of Texas Medical Branch

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration