Evaluation Distribution Question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

AHME forum » Program Administrator Forum » Evaluation Distribution Question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lelliott (Lelliott)
Username: Lelliott

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a what-would-you-do question. We send teaching faculty their anonymous resident evaluations semi-annually and have started sending rotation evaluations as well. In the case of some rotations, several faculty teach on the same rotation and all of them receive the rotation evaluation.
What happens if a resident makes a negative comment about one of the teaching faculty in a rotation evaluation? One resident made a request to "get rid of" a particular faculty member. I read it and winced but in the name of consistency and transparency, I sent it to the faculty members (the person mentioned is no longer teaching and the evaluation was not shared with that person). The chief of that service said it should not have been shared, even if the faculty member is no longer on the service, because it was unprofessional and affects the morale of other teaching faculty.
My feeling was that as long as it isn't hate speech, the evaluation is the evaluation and all I can do is educate residents about the importance of providing constructive feedback and that character is especially important in the context of anonymity.
I would appreciate any advice about how you would have handled the situation. Thank you, Lynn
lynn.elliott@balladhealth.org

Sandipalma (Sandipalma)
Username: Sandipalma

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I received an evaluation like that, it would go directly to my PD. And the PD would address it directly with the Chief of Service for that rotation.

Motta (Motta)
Username: Motta

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you saw the comment when the evaluation was submitted, you could send it back to the trainee and tell them to give more instructive feedback. Or, you could have the PD review all rotation summary evalautions before releasing them to the service heads.

Ahartford (Ahartford)
Username: Ahartford

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The PD should have access to all information, however the groups shouldn't see negative individual comments. The PD should follow up on the comment & address any concerns raised. The PD can also work with the Chair/Division Director to work with the faculty member. (Praise in public, criticize in private)
The group may want to see the comments with any names redacted in order to address any issues without calling out one individual. This would be part of any PEC or APE review as well.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration