Splitting a coordinator role: Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

AHME forum » Program Administrator Forum » Splitting a coordinator role: « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cbork72 (Cbork72)
Username: Cbork72

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2018 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all - I currently manage 11 residency/fellowship programs top to bottom. Sometimes I may have a student employee to help out, but it's not reliable and at most 1-2 hours a week. I'm posting because we are going to be adding a position to our education team, and I may receive a percentage of their time. If you have help for your programs, can you advise the best way to split the duties? Do you split each program based on support/administrative roles, or is it better that each person manage all parts the programs they own (split up the programs)?

Christinehanna (Christinehanna)
Username: Christinehanna

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2018 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is better to split up the programs, that way the new person feels a sense of ownership/leadership/responsibility to the whole program and relationships can be built with faculty and trainees. It's so much better for employee satisfaction, job growth and future employment prospects to have two real education coordinators in an institution rather than an education coordinator with a "someone else." Of course at first you'll want to have the new person come alongside you and train her intensely for a month or so and then mentor her for a long while. You'll always be there to guide her. But he/she will eventually have her/his "own programs," and that's so healthy for everyone.

Mcuster (Mcuster)
Username: Mcuster

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2018 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have 11 fellowship programs with a total of 3.0 FTE coordinators. Each coordinator has 3-4 programs respectively and manages the entire program July-June. We are centralized in one office. This has allowed us work collaboratively to develop standard work and streamline processes which has significantly reduced the amount of time spent on each responsibility. We presented this year at ACGME and APPD on our "COSI" model (Supercoordinator model). I would be happy to share details and tools if interested. Feel free to reach out to me: mcuster@connecticutchildrens.org

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration