Professional staff or Classified empl... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

AHME forum » Program Administrator Forum » Professional staff or Classified employee « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mimi (Mimi)
Username: Mimi

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good afternoon,

I feel very strongly that residency/fellowship coordinators serve a critical role in the organization and should be categorized as professional staff i.e. salaried positions rather than classified employees i.e. hourly positions. I am trying to gather national data to make my point with the university HR staff. Any data you can provide along with tasks that are not considered clerical (HA-I am a senior associate dean and do tons of clerical work as it is what it is...). Many thanks in advance to all who respond.

Eric_anderson (Eric_anderson)
Username: Eric_anderson

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to see some national data as well. AHME (I think that Carrie Eckart took the lead) did a study a few years ago. My HR department would not accept the data because it was self reported. I would also love to see a change in language at the ACGME level. Coordinators made sense back in the 1990's but since the Outcomes project and with the current accreditation system they need to update the language to reflect the professional role that the "program administrators" or "program managers" provide.

Msiraco (Msiraco)
Username: Msiraco

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 08:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UConn's are salaried employees.

Sgross (Sgross)
Username: Sgross

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 08:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. I would love to also see this information. I am currently an hourly, classified employee and there is discussion about moving it to a professional/salaried position, but I believe we need the information to back up the reason for the switch. It is in very early stages currently.
Sara Gross
UWHealth
Residency & Fellowship Coordinator
Department of Pathology
600 Highland Ave., L5/139
MC: 8550
Madison, WI 53792
608-262-7158
sgross1@uwhealth.org

Efry (Efry)
Username: Efry

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to see the additional data. Thank You.

Hkelley (Hkelley)
Username: Hkelley

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am salaried, but my current position in the residency has no job description. I'm a combination of non-physician faculty/coordinator/administration and would also like to see these responsible positions given credit for what they really represent.

Skolfj (Skolfj)
Username: Skolfj

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have made significant progress at our institution to recognize the evolution of this role in GME. We restructured 5 years ago and are just now completing our second iteration in the last five years of title, job description and salary adjustments. We started with "MedEd Program Administrator" and, after settling into the NAS a bit and having a better understanding what is required of these positions, we recently revised them again to "MedED Program Managers". Both of these title changes went along with job description revisions and salary adjustments. All are salaried positions. In addition to job description work, we restructured so everyone is within our department, there is standardized accountability and no one has a dual responsibility role to both the education program and clinical department. We've achieved many other benefits with all this work beyond just the title recognition. I've submitted a workshop proposal for the Institute next year and hoping to share our successes and resources with folks who are looking to do the same thing at their institutions. I've attached our org chart for a reference.

Jenny Skolfield, MS
Director, Medical Education Department |Maine Medical Center
335 Brighton Ave, Portland, Maine, 04102 |(207)662-7106

generic, 7.31.2017.pdf,application/pdfDME Org Chart, MMC, 8.2017
DME OrgChart (220.8 k)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration