Is One enough? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

AHME forum » Program Administrator Forum » Is One enough? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rosario (Rosario)
Username: Rosario

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need help in trying to convince my institution that an assistant is needed in my program. I'm the residency coordinator of a large program (116 residents) plus rotating residents, plus medical students.

I'm managing the program by myself but I've been told that they cannot hire anybody. Does anyone knows if ACGME states how many people should be involved in a large program like mine??
Mrs. Rosario Hooker
Residency Training Coordinator
Department of Internal Medicine
Lincoln Medical Center
234 E. 149th Street
Bronx, NY 10451
Email: Linmed@Linmed.org
Tel.: (718) 579-4834
Fax: (718) 579-4836

Martinezla (Martinezla)
Username: Martinezla

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would check the ACGME website. For EM I definitely know there is a ratio of residents to coordinator that is REQUIRED.

Laurengarlapo (Laurengarlapo)
Username: Laurengarlapo

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ACGME requirements are dependent on your specialty.
The Common Program Requirements state:
II.C. Other Program Personnel
The institution and the program must jointly ensure the availability of all
necessary professional, technical, and clerical personnel for the effective
administration of the program. (Core)

Pshmcty (Pshmcty)
Username: Pshmcty

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd have to kill myself! Common requirements II.C. says The institution must ensure the availability of professional, technical and clerical personnel for the effective administration of the program. I would say this is gross negligence on the part of the DIO, DME, and PDs.

Honormgs (Honormgs)
Username: Honormgs

Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you would be better off asking similar programs at other institutions regarding their staffing levels.

Vwright (Vwright)
Username: Vwright

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first step would be to point out the specific program requirements. I would also agree, as has been stated, that it is irresponsible of the DIO not to challenge the system not providing appropriate coverage to represent the program well. I would also say that the DIO might want to concern themselves with the trickle down effect on Faculty and resident surveys. Lack of appropriate support has a funny way of showing up in multiple areas which would make it very uncomfortable for the institution.

Terrydib (Terrydib)
Username: Terrydib

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know under ACGME Pediatric residency after 60 residents you must have 2...so they push to hire another even though they had the assistant who did alot of the work...our residency has 76 and we have 2 coordinators and 1 assistant

Lynnemeyer (Lynnemeyer)
Username: Lynnemeyer

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most specialties do not have requirements for coordinators, although some do - e.g. emergency medicine.

For an idea of who does and who does not, go to:
http://www.acgme.org/Designated-Institutional-Officials/Institutional-Review-Com mittee/Institutional-Application-and-Requirements

and click on "expected time for program coordinator" under the "selected topics across program requirements".

Mkeawe (Mkeawe)
Username: Mkeawe

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is the DIO's responsibility to assure that the programs have enough resources to administer the Program. S/he can advocate for that with data and ACGME requirements.

When one of my staff was complaining of "too much work", I did a task study with that person. We went over every assigned task, and determined the amount of time spent each week. For a 1 month period, we also tracked it for accuracy and adjusted as needed. Of course, we recognize that different tasks happen all year long, but we needed to start somewhere. Turned out this person was not working too much; just inefficiently. But the process might give you some hard data to present to the DIO, who should be doing the proper job of assessing all administrative support.

Someone said it early, too. Some of the tasks need to go back to the PD, Assoc PD, and Faculty, but the Admin Staff would need to determine what. If the plate is truly full, then some of it needs to come off and go elsewhere (meaning faculty). If the faculty start complaining of doing administrative work, that too can become data the DIO can use to advocate for more funding.

Best wishes!

Motta (Motta)
Username: Motta

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You must be exhausted. 116 isn't even in the ballpark of what one coordinator can handle. I worked on getting better working conditions at my previous institution with some success but it takes time. See attached.
application/pdfACGME Poster
acgme-poster.pdf (720.7 k)

Rosario (Rosario)
Username: Rosario

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Motta, thanks so much for sharing this info, I will be talking to our DIO and GME office to see if they can do something similar.
I truly appreciate your help!
Rosario

Kaydelou30 (Kaydelou30)
Username: Kaydelou30

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please see attached ACGME PC Expected Time FAQ Matrix with each specialty's Program Coordinator requirements located at http://www.acgme.org/Portals/0/PDFs/Specialty-specific%20Requirement%20Topics/DIO-Expected_Time_Coordinator.pdf?ver=2016-10-21-160310-647.
application/pdfACGME PC Expected Time Matrix
DIO-Expected_Time_Coordinator.pdf (50.1 k)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration