ADS Update/Transitional Year Resident Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

AHME forum » Transitional Year Program Forum » ADS Update/Transitional Year Resident « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peggypa (Peggypa)
Username: Peggypa

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not all too experienced when it comes to transitional year residents hence my question.

In the ADS update, under the "actively enrolled residents" there is a question about prior training. I would consider a transitional year as prior training however someone commented it to be 0 (zero). I feel it should be counted as one (1) and furthermore documentation is needed, as part of the CPR from the previous program as with a transfer resident - is this the case?
The ADS update indicates "documentation of previous experience should be available..." however identifies this for a resident accepted as a transfer or completed prerequisite, preliminary training. This particular resident matched into the program.

Stanbreaux (Stanbreaux)
Username: Stanbreaux

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are the TY program, and this is your resident in the TY program, then their years of prior training is most likely zero unless they were in some other residency program before they joined your TY program (which would be very rare).

Peggypa (Peggypa)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are not the TY program. The resident completed a TY elsewhere then matched into our IM residency program.

Stanbreaux (Stanbreaux)
Username: Stanbreaux

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry I misunderstood your original post.
For that individual resident, i would agree with you that he/ she has 1 year of prior training.

Cdraconi (Cdraconi)
Username: Cdraconi

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Peggy: I think it depends on your program and the acceptance of the TY credits towards their prelim year credit. Every specialty is different (I learned this in Neurology), and the requirements that must be fulfilled for that year and how they are fulfilled are different from TY, to Prelim You might have to detail to make sure they met the requirements for your specialty.

Peggypa (Peggypa)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crys - For the IM program, previous training (TY or prelim year) is not required and to my knowledge the resident is not receiving prior credit.

I agree that I should make an inquiry to the RC - so much for a simple question!

Cdraconi (Cdraconi)
Username: Cdraconi

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed! I think the answer is no but you should check.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration