Night Float Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

AHME forum » Transitional Year Program Forum » Night Float « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sbloom (Sbloom)
Username: Sbloom

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone clarify if weeks on Night Float count toward the required fundamental clinical skills weeks for the Transitional Year?

Craigsr (Craigsr)
Username: Craigsr

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Night Float can definitely qualify as fundamental clinical skills but one of the challenges is whether the Night Float is at least 4 weeks in duration because the TY Program Requirements state "Residents should have rotations offering fundamental clinical skills that are at least four continuous weeks in duration to ensure reasonable continuity of education and patient care". I am not sure how the TYRC will interpret night float rotations that are less than 4 consecutive weeks in length in regards to counting these towards the fundamental clinical skills requirement (i.e. if the night float experience totals 4 weeks but are split up into two differenct 2-week blocks).
Steve Craig, Iowa Methodist Medical Center TY Residency Director

Keithfincher (Keithfincher)
Username: Keithfincher

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have our TY's doing 4-5 nights during the rotation they are on (Medicine, Surgery, ICU) which is what the categoricals do here. Working on some type of educational structure too. If it works for the categorical program you're on, how can it not apply to TY's-- if we want them to get an equal and comparable education.

Craigsr (Craigsr)
Username: Craigsr

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Keith that there will not be an issue when it comes to counting night float that is incorporated into a minimum 4-week block of time in medicine, surgery, ICU, etc. towards fundamental clinical skills. I do think that separate Night Float blocks will be more problematic to count as fundamental clinical skills if they are less than 4-weeks in duration.

Sbloom (Sbloom)
Username: Sbloom

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our night float assignments are 2 week long blocks, though during the year they will do more than 4 weeks total. I hope the TYRC will see the fundamental clinical skills value in this, as well as the need to break up night float so it's not too exhausting.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration