Transitional Year and Maternity Leave Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

AHME forum » Transitional Year Program Forum » Transitional Year and Maternity Leave « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sbloom (Sbloom)
Username: Sbloom

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone dealt with a resident taking family leave during the middle of her Transitional Year? The RRC requirements don't specify a maximum number of days off allowed during the year (like other RRCs). As long as the basic requirements for fundamental skills weeks, etc. are met, any problem with graduating on time?

Jeff (Jeff)
Board Administrator
Username: Jeff

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 07:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We generally have the resident take all of their vacation time and then we allow an at home research elective.

You may want to also post this question in the TY folder.

Charlie_daschbach (Charlie_daschbach)
Username: Charlie_daschbach

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd suggest a cautious approach here. First, I am wholly against "Research Home Electives" and will post why under a new thread.
Unfortunately, the way GME is structured in our institutions, the # of months doing something equates with skill level or competency. And what you do for one resident...you should do for all...so making a resident take vacation within FMLA makes sense...but the rest of the time should be made up in the program.
I'd adopt some "guidelines" for TY Residents that specify how much real time is required...e.g., 11 months with a max of 4 of those rotations with no more than one week off...
Residency programs at the institution each are under somewhat stricter or looser RRC(and ABMS Board Certification!) rules in this regard...and some PDs have different understandings...(Those who have rasied Teenagers are the best at drawing the line!)
Without dictating to PDs or Chairs and usurping their authority, I'd ask your HR Dept to work with you in giving all programs some "General Suggested Guidelines" for GME Programs (including Fellowships).

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration