Effect of New Proposed ACGME Duty Hou... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

AHME forum » Transitional Year Program Forum » Effect of New Proposed ACGME Duty Hours on TY Residency Training « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Craigsr (Craigsr)
Username: Craigsr

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am curious what other TY residency programs are contemplating in light of the new ACGME proposed common program requirements that limit PGY1 residents from working more than 16 hours. Will you be asking the categorical programs that train your TY residents to include your residents in night float rotations? Do you currently have TY residents participate in night float rotations and if so, what feedback do they provide about the value of this training? Will you consider night float in medicine only or other disciplines too (eg surgery, pediatrics, ob gyn)?
Are any of you planning to not have your residents work nights and limit their training to daytime hours only (up to the maximum of 16 hours)? We are beginning these discussions with the other categorical programs at our institution and I thought I would see what others are presently doing or considering for the future.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marko (Marko)
Username: Marko

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2010 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Compliance with the 16 hour work limit and the 80 hour work week raises numerous possibilities for categorical and advanced programs. At first glance, two answers emerge: night float and the six day work week. As the categorical programs work through their respective redesign, I think the key issue for the TY programs will center on an analysis of the work patterns of categorical PG1s in their respective specialties. Whatever solution the associated categorical programs implement should also be applied to the TY program in appropriate measure. For example, if medicine PG1s spend one fifth of their year on night float, TYs should be assigned similarly. If a program institutes a 6 day work week of 12 hour days for PG1s and reserves call for upper level residents, the associated TY program should do the same. As the solution(s) may vary within an institution between programs, this would continue to keep the experience of the TY resident in line with that of categorical residents in the specialty.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration